14 June 2016

Short Story - To Be Like Daddy

This week's 100-word story was something I thought about and scribbled out last month. I tweaked it a little for another contest but also thought it might be relevant with Father's day coming up. To me, it stands as a reminder that even good parents and people who don't have kids (think aunts, uncles, tutors, babysitters, etc) can have unexpected impacts on children.
                                        ----------------------------                  
                
Golden-red flames lick ever closer but I have to find Jerry. The heavy smoke overwhelms the yard and the smell of burnt logs sweeps through the house like an ashy tidal wave. I stumble through the pitch colored yard until I'm nearly garroted by the laundry line.

Finally, I find him hunkered under the porch with Yowl, the pillow-pet. He swipes away tears as I scoop him up. When I load him into his booster-seat, he whispers.

“Sorry, Mama.” He hands me a pack of matches and some crumpled cigarettes. “I just wanted to be like Daddy.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment