20 June 2016

Book Review: The Calling by Rachelle Dekker

Yesterday, I finished the sequel to Rachelle Dekker's debut novel. I was lagging behind on this one for awhile. I think because I was afraid it would not have the same impact on me that the first novel (The Choosing) accomplished. I was wrong.

I've described the premise before but here's a quick recap: in a pseudo-post-apocalyptic America, the Authority rules with a heavy hand. Women who are not chosen by a young man during their selection ceremony are destined to become indentured servants; men who are imperfect for some reason (think birth defect or chronic stutter) become members of the militaristic police force. It's the only way of life, until a mysterious man named Aaron begins planting seeds in the hearts of the citizens.

The first novel was written entirely from Carrington's perspective. She fails to get chosen and tries her hardest to accept the fate that the Authority tells her is God's Will for her life. The second novel is in Remko's point of view. As he tries to lead a group of rebels outside the Authority city, he finds every step he takes leads them closer to capture and death. Wow, I thought my heart really empathized with Carrington; Remko, on the other hand, totally resonated with me. His struggle through regret and self-blame really hit me hard.

Even more, his journey to true freedom. I'm waiting expectantly for the last book in this series.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Sounds interesting!

abnormalalien said...

It really is and I never would have thought I'd be interested in dystopian-type stuff.

Post a Comment