14 May 2016

Book Review: The Choosing by Rachelle Dekker

Recently, at VStock, I parsed the Ted Dekker section..."Got it, got it, got in on Kindle, got it." Since this bookstore carries new and used books, there's always a chance I could find one of his lesser known novels. (For example, I only have one of the Martyr's Song series.)

Ok, so in lots of stores, I've seen authors with similar names (i.e. various Decker's) but never another Dekker. Jokingly, I picked up The Choosing, "Hey look someone else has Ted Dekker's name," I said to the hubby. "This does NOT look like a Ted Dekker novel," I point at the cover with a picture of a funnily dressed woman staring down at her feet. Again joking, because I had the impression his spelling of the name was unique, "I wonder if they're related?"

And then I actually looked at the cover and description more closely; it was written by his daughter. Mystery solved. And though the cover made me think it was some sort of historical romance, once I read the description, "Hey, this sounds good. Can I get it?"

I'm happy to report that Rachelle Dekker is a good storyteller. The world she builds is a future city where the Authority takes control after a semi-apocalyptic event. At first, that's a good thing; the Authority is like a council with a police force but it follows Judeo-Christian teachings. As the story unfolds though, you realize it follows them to ritual extreme.

The main character, Carrington, becomes a Lint (basically a servant) after failing to get chosen at her once-in-a-lifetime Choosing Ceremony - where all the young men of a certain age get to choose their spouse. The Authority tells the Lints it's their own fault and it must be God's will for them.

But a strange circumstance leads the Authority to allow one of their own to be choose a bride, only from the Lints. Carrington thinks Authority Knight's choosing her is a blessed second chance at a normal life. Boy, was she wrong.

I can't tell you much more but I can say this was an excellent and engaging novel. I love how the main character finds out the difference between ritual religion and a relationship with God. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. I don't think I have a negative thing to say about this novel.

3 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome that you like both Ted's novels and his daughter's. Sounds like an interesting read, especially since you didn't have anything negative to say about it.

abnormalalien said...

Exactly, I'm really excited about this. TD does a lot of really cool thrillers and other stuff too but as far as I know of good Christian dystopian fiction hasn't been much of a thing lately.

abnormalalien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment