19 October 2016

Book Review: Killing Floor by Lee Child

*Sigh* I picked this author up on the recommendation of some readers and writers I trust. And, of course, I agree with a lot of the good things I've heard them say.

Which is why this book is kind of hard for me to review. I really loved the writing; the main character had good voice and I was easily drawn in by the story.

Unfortunately for me, some of the content was vulgar. I mean, most of us know what goes on between inmates in prisons. However, I read to escape the real world a bit and am not at all interested in reading about some of the gross stuff. Another example, one of the murders in this novel includes forcing one victim's severed body part down another victim's throat. Ick.

I'm also a little torn about the main character. He's interesting to read because he's so much different than the standard mc in a lot of thrillers. But I also felt like some of his behaviors were reflective of emotional immaturity that isn't resolved in this novel (perhaps later in the series). Overall, I'm not really sure how I felt about this book. I like the writing; I can easily tell this author is good. But some of the content is just not my cup of tea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment