20 February 2015

AppleID vs AOL

Argh. Sorry in advance, this is a frustration rant about email/usernames. Read if you're interested in my Apple VS AOL plight.

Today, my ambivalence toward Apple as a company has changed. Usually, I couldn't care less. I don't know how to use an Apple computer because I've always had a PC. That's fine I guess. I use my iPad primarily as an eBook reader. It's pretty cool; I like it. I've never had an iPod or iPhone. Because of my husband's distaste for Apple (though he has an iPod, has had an iPhone, wanted a Macbook, and yes bought me that iPad), I have never actively sought out any Apple products. It's not that I dislike them; it used to be that I couldn't afford them. Now, I'm use to PC and Android and that's fine with me. Or at least it's usually fine with me.

Though I've never bought any Apple electronics, I've always used iTunes. I tried Windows Media among other players and just genuinely prefer iTunes. The setup is easy to navigate; the store is good. I've had some issues with songs duplicating themselves in my library or the file not being found but that was my own poor organizing skills. Alright, fine.

Well, today I got a cute email from Apple saying that my AppleID needs to be changed because "AOL will no longer support your ability to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store." It also went on to state that if you logged in with your usual AOL email, "You will automatically be taken through a few short steps to complete the process." I figured this was a minor annoyance that could easily be fixed. Instead of using my email as my username, I'll just switch it to my typical moniker and have my contact email as my AOL email.

Nope. Apple doesn't work that way. You see, your AppleID HAS to be a valid email address. For most people, I guess that's probably not a huge deal. Just switch it over to whatever other email address you use. Here's the problem. I only use AOL email addresses. Oh sure, I used to have some yahoo account that expired from infrequent use. Yea yea, I have a school email. I would, however, clarify that I use my school email primarily for school business only. This is because school email addresses have a tendency to expire after you graduate. I don't want to lose access to my Apple account merely because I graduated and moved on with my life.

So, what are my options? Lose my account. Nope, like I said, iTunes is my music player. That's also how I install apps on my iPad or buy books in iBooks. Make a new email address. With whom? Yahoo? No, I always forget to sign in and then it expires on me. MSN? Same problem. Hotmail? Eh. Oh wait, what is that random email that I get on my smartphone? Gmail. I have a Galaxy, an Android phone, with Google written all over it. That means, somewhere out there, I have a gmail address. Of course, I don't get emails in my gmail account, except for the ones from gmail telling me the terms and conditions have changed or one of my YouTube subscriptions has uploaded a new video...and I only check those because I literally have to click on a notification and they pop up on my screen.

*Sighs* Well, fine then. I guess I'll change my AppleID to my gmail address. Thanks Apple. Thanks AOL. You guys are obnoxious.

So, I guess today my ambivalence toward Apple turned into minor frustration at their ridiculous username VS email ID setup. Will it negatively affect my perceptions of Apple (or AOL even) as a company? Probably not. But it was annoying enough to rant about on a public blog.

P.S. When I tried to contact customer support, Apple advertises an email contact. However, when you go through all their contact prompts, they distinctly refuse email contact and force you to call them. No thanks, I really just wanted to send you a whiny email telling you to get your act together and make yourselves compatible with my regular email.

0 comments:

Post a Comment