31 January 2015

That's Not How Writing Works

So, I've been brainstorming another novel. With the aid of social media and search engines, I stumbled across useful tools that I didn't know about when I wrote my first novel (Micah's 45). Story worksheets. Character trait lists. Plot outlines. Setting charts. All sorts of wonderful things in paper or PDF format meant to help you organize your thoughts. Of course, when I started to think about this book, I had nothing more than a premise (killer stalks family) and a clincher sentence. That's similar to how I started Micah's 45, so it didn't really bother me. I sat down and just started typing. and it worked. Now, I did shortly have to come up with an outline (for the class that started Part 1 of Micah's 45) but it was far off base and even generalized so much as to be vague. I had no idea where the story was going until it got me much closer to the destination.

Yes, you read that correctly. Until it got me much closer to the destination. I was halfway between the land of sleep and normal life when an imagined scenario became the final chapter. So, I wrote the final chapter down. I still had no idea how I was going to get there. In fact, the ending seemed unexpected, bold. It was not what I had planned; I didn't have any idea how it fit with the rest of the story.

Then, why did it frustrate me when I couldn't immediately answer so many of the worksheet questions? I guess, somewhere along the way, I forgot how writing really works for me. I see something: a premise, a clincher, maybe just a character or a particular scene. And then I imagine all the ways that could have come to be. You start investigating the character(s) and you weed your way into their lives. I should clarify at this point that you investigate your characters, NOT stalk the real people who may have inspired a character. Don't be creepy; that's not cool.

It's possible that what I'm saying sounds awfully mystical to normal people. But I just don't seem to know a better way to describe it. As you write, you become better acquainted with your characters. As they grow and develop, your story grows and develops. Sometimes, your characters do something you didn't expect or want and sometimes you gets stuck because you're trying to force a character to do something that they just wouldn't do. That makes the writing hard because you have to keep an eye out for inconsistencies.

For example, in the first drafts of Micah's 45, I made Micah's speech too eloquent and cultured for a teenage girl with her personality and background. This problem is a good reason to encourage multiple revisions. But not just editing revisions. I mean full-blown self criticism bordering on the depressing. Everything from "Does this overall outline/plot/character/scene make sense?" to "Will other people think this story is implausible and stupid?"

But, for me, this flamboyant approach to writing works. And, for the most part, stringent adherence to worksheets, outlines, charts, and lists is just not how writing works.

P.S. Thats my opinion and my experience; you're free to politely (please and thank you: inappropriate comments will be deleted) disagree and teach me your ways, if you're so inclined.

0 comments:

Post a Comment